U12 Hurling, Round 2

Pearses 3-13; Meelick –Eyrecourt 1-1: Report by Martina Donnellan. Pearses simply outshone the opposition in every position in Clonfert yesterday morning as it took Pearses barely 30 seconds to open their scoring tally through an effort from David Walsh which found the net. The game was completely one-way traffic as talented wing forward Cillian Fahy almost single handedly destroyed the opposition’s hopes with a stunning 2-7 all from play over the 40mins while he could have scored more only for the vigilance of the Meelick-Eyrecourt keeper.

Pearses were 2-3 ahead at half time. David Walsh (goal); Cillian Fahy 1-1; his point was beautifully tapped down by Dara Scarry for Fahy to pick up the loose ball; Harry Mitchell and Jason Rabbitte all added to Pearses half time 2-3 to 0-0 scoreline. The pick of the first half scores was Rabbitte’s inspirational long range effort over the bar. Half time score: Pearses 2-3; Meelick-Eyrecourt 0-0.

Pearses ensured the hosts never got into gear as the onslaught continued right from the off of the 2nd half. By the half way mark, a range of Pearses scores had come courtesy of Dara Scarry, Harry Mitchell who pulled on the ball from an Anthony Feeney cross for a great point and three from play from Cillian Fahy, his best was well put over after Jason Rabbitte fetched an Eyrecourt puck-out in midfield before crossing to Fahy.

Meelick-Ryrecourt scored their first score; a goal after Pearses defence failed to clear. But Pearses pulled all the strings and continued the rampage with five unanswered scores. Ross Lally fed Cillian Fahy but the keeper was well alert to deflect his goal bound effort over. Cillian Fahy scored his 2nd goal in a move involving Diarmuid Ryan, Dara Scarry and Ross Lally.

Anthony Feeney was rewarded for his hard work with a point from play. Cillian added a brace of points; one of which was presented to him from a Dara Scarry scoop straight into his hand for him to easily tap over and his second taken on the run. Eyrecourt scored their 1st point from play while at the opposite end the Eyrecourt custodian made a super save to deny Cillan Fahy from adding to his already superb tally. Harry Mitchell tapped over a free for Pearses to finish: Pearses 3-13; Meelick-Eyrecourt 1-1.

Overall this group of U12 lads under the management of Larry Hillary and Kevin Ryan have proven to have great talent with a huge desire for the game. Their hard running combined with excellent distribution of the ball earned them a facile victory in this case. The games are coming hot and heavy these days between U12 hurling, U12 football and the U13 hurling due to start with a local derby against Skehana-Mountbellew (known to us a Ske-bellew) on Monday evening in Skehana pitch.

Scorers: Cillian Fahy 2-7; Harry Mitchell 0-3 (1F); David Walsh 1-0; Jason Rabbitte 0-1; Dara Scarry 0-1; Anthony Feeney 0-1.

Panel: Cathal Hynes, Dillon Roche, Conor Hillary, Jonah Donnellan, Harry Mitchell, Anthony Feeney, Jason Rabbitte, Cillian Fahy, David Walsh, Diarmuid Ryan, Dara Scarry, Ross Lally, Ciárán Hogan, Conor Walsh, Tommy andamp;amp; Jamie Nutley, Patrick O’Neill.