SHC: Pearses 0-16 Kiltormer 0-13

Pearses and Kiltormer got the ball rolling in Senior Hurling Championship Group D yesterday in Loughrea. It was a ding-dong battle from start to finish, Kiltormer had their periods of dominance, but on each occasion Pearses rode out the storm and wrestled back control to emerge deserving three point winners.
Kiltormer had the upper hand in the early exchanges and by the 11th minute led Pearses 0-4 to 0-1 and could have been further ahead but for some bad wides. The Pearses score came from a Tomandamp;aacute;s Flannery free. Pearses had also suffered a setback when Kerrill Hardiman had to retire with a hand injury, replaced by Tommy McDonagh.andamp;nbsp;
Kiltormer’s deep-lying midfielders was working to good effect in starving the Pearses forwards of possession. However, the switch of Gary Lally to a third midfield role counteracted this and by the 17th minute Pearses were level, thanks to frees from Flannery and Shane Raftery, as as well as a point from play by Darragh Skehill. Five minutes later Pearses took the lead for the first time in the game, with Flannery again on target from a placed ball. Shane Raftery added another, before Kiltormer responded. Pearses had the last say of the first half with another Flannery free, leaving the half-time Score: Pearses 0-7 Kiltormer 0-5.
Pearses had tagged on three more points by the 6th minute of the second half (Emmett Ward, Tom Flannery and Cyril Donnellan), to Kiltormer’s one. Pearses would not score again until the 17th minute, as Kiltormer rattled off four-in-a-row. Midfielder David Hayes leading the Kiltormer charge. The hard working Cormac Ward hit a brilliant point from near the sideline to stem the Kiltormer tide, Hayes hit a Kiltormer score, to level again, 0-11 each.
In the 25th minute the teams were deadlocked again 0-13 apiece, Pearses’ scores from substitute Colm Raftery and Tom Flannery. Then Cormac Ward led by example when hitting another important score to put Pearses back in front. Flannery again pointed to create a two point lead. Minor Ronan Bellew capped off the scoring with his a point from play and soon after the final Whistle sounded, for a 0-16 to 0-13 win.
It was a hard fought win and was great to see Pearses’ never say die attitude. Cormac Ward, Flannery’s accuracy and the introduction of youngsters Colm Raftery and Ronan Bellew were important in regaining control after Kiltormer’s purple patch. Beagh play Tommie Larkins next Saturday in the other first Round Group D game, with Pearses yet to play both of these teams.
Pearses: Fearghal Flannery; Anthony Kenny, Tomandamp;aacute;s Kenny, Pandamp;aacute;uric Raftery; Richie Lally, Shane Raftery (0-2), Kerrill Hardiman; Seandamp;aacute;n Hardiman, Jimmy Gelston; Darragh Skehill (0-1), Cormac Ward (0-2), Cyril Donnellan (0-1); Gary Lally, Emmett Ward (0-1), Tomandamp;aacute;s Flannery (0-7). Subs used: Tommy McDonagh, Colm Raftery (0-1), Ronan Bellew (0-1) and Robbie Donnellan.