U16B Hurling Final

Ardrahan 1-10 Ardrahan 2-9: Our U16 hurlers came up just short against a strong Ardrahan side this evening in the U16B Final played in Duggan Park, Ballinasloe. In wet and windy conditions Pearses trailed 1-7 to 0-5 at half time having played against the wind. The lads showed great spirit to turn things around in the third quarter and went one up with 47 minutes gone. Ardrahan hit back with a goal of their own just three minutes later to retake the lead. They added two more points to Pearses’ one and survived a late goal chance to claim the title.
Ardrahan landed the first three points of the game, before Oisin Flannery opened the Pearses scoring with a pointed free on nine minutes, 0-3 to 0-1. Pearses stepped it up in the next 10 minutes, outscoring the South Galway team 0-3 to 0-2. Oisin Flannery with all scores, two of them frees earned by Cian Murphy and Geordan Kenny, 0-5 to 0-4. Ardrahan went three clear and goaled in first half stoppage time to give themselves a 1-7 to 0-5 lead at the change of ends.
The third quarter was Pearses’ best spell. Ardrahan extended their lead to six points just after the restart, but in the next fifteen minutes Pearses scored 1-4 to go in front for the only time in the game. Flannery was on target from frees and play, while Dean Reilly at full-forward bagged 1-1. Ardrahan swung the game back in their favour with 1-1 of their own and led by three with nine minutes left. They did not score again, as Pearses battled to close the gap. Darragh Healy pointed for Pearses with six minutes left. Ronan Flannery did well at the other end to cut out an Ardrahan goal chance. Dean Reilly used his pace to create a goal chance in the closing stages. The Ardrahan keeper made a brave stop to keep it out.
Hard luck to the lads. They put in a battling performance, showing great heart and never gave up. It just wasn’t to be in the end. Well done to Ardrahan.
Pearses: D McCabe; E McCabe, R Flannery, N Moran; M Hennelly, S Hynes, S Doran; J Barrett, D Grady; G Kenny, D Healy (0-1), D Reilly (1-1), J Mitchell, O Flannery (0-8), C Murphy. Subs: L Mitchell, M Carr, J Friel, C Burke, R Hynes, Ethan Lally, Eoin Lally, B Kelly, C Kitt.