U13 Quarter-Final

Pearses 7-4; Annaghdown 1-4: Our U13’s put in a tour de force 2nd half performance against Annaghdown to secure a place in the U13 semi-final this evening in Ballymacward. Although the game was tit for tat in the first half, Annaghdown surged into a half time lead of 1-2 to 0-3. It was the visitors who took the early initiative with a goal from a ground pull but birthday boy Ronan Hynes’ quickly taken free set up Paddy Kenny who opened Pearses account with a great point from play after a good run down the side line.
Then Annaghdown tapped over from play while Conor Moran converted 2 frees before Annaghdown were back in the driving seat just before half time with another point from play. Half time score: Annaghdown 1-2; Pearses 0-3. The 2nd half totally belonged to the Pearses lads who hit a feast of goals; their first two in quick succession of the restart to take charge. Ronan Hynes finished a cross from Jonah Donnellan while Conall Flynn’s ground stroke also found the net. Conor Moran added another free after a foul on the hard working Anthony Feeney.
It took 8 mins into the 2nd half for Annaghdown to register their first point of the half but it was worth the wait given the strike from a difficult angle near the side line on the stand side of the field. The industrious Ronan Hynes set up Darragh Roche for goal No.3 as he displayed great gaelic skills, first shaking off a mount of tackles before he kicked to the net; a goal the Galway Senior footballers would have been proud of on Saturday.
Annaghdown responded through a crisp lift and strike over the bar after a clearance from Pearses defence went askew to leave the score at 3-4 to 1-4 mid-way through the 2nd half. Pearses held the edge until the finish with 4 more goals; Ronan Hynes finished well after he connected to a high ball sent into the danger area from Paddy Kenny. Immediately from the resultant puck out and Conor Moran who covered every inch of the pitch, found Anthony Feeney whose unstoppable rasper found the net.
Peter O’Neill turned the screw when his free lobbed the keeper after he himself was initially fouled. It was fitting that the last goal belonged to the birthday boy, Ronan Hynes who was set up by Conor Moran, but still with some work to do, he drove his effort to the right of the goalie to claim his hat-trick, the day after his 12th birthday and help finish a scoreline of Pearses 7-4; Annaghdown 1-4. A semi- final outing scheduled for this Friday was the prize for this evenings winners; opposition yet to be decided.
Scorers: Ronan Hynes 3-0; Conor Moran 0-3 (3f); Peter O’Neill 1-0; Darragh Roche 1-0; Anthony Feeney 1-0; Conall Flynn 1-0; Paddy Kenny 0-1.Pearses: Harry Mitchell, Cormac Hillary, Mark Donnellan, Eanna Cunniffe, Conor Kelly, Oisin Donoghue, Jack Reilly, Conor Moran, Ronan Hynes, Paddy Kenny, Peter O’Neill, Darragh Roche, David Egan, Conal Flynn, Anthony Feeney, Jonah Donnellan, Dara Scarry, Dylan Roche, Patrick O’Neill, Conor Hillary.
Report: Martina Donnellan