Junior B Hurling, Round 5

Pearses 3-9 Oranmore-Maree 3-9: In a classic game of two halves, Pearses were lucky to hang on for a draw in this Junior B Hurling Championship game, played at wet and windy Castledaly yesterday evening. After playing with the strong wind Pearses lead 2-6 to 0-4 at half time and looked good for the win when Leo Morrissey added a third goal just after half-time.
Pearses had registered 1-3 before Oranmore-Maree got off the mark on the 11th minute. The first score was a goal from Niall Skehill, well finished from 20 yards out. Darragh Kelly, Damien Wynne and Robbie Donnellan added points from play. Oranmore-Maree opened their account with two points, before Lee Murphy found Robbie Donnellan who cut through the middle for a second Pearses goal in the 22nd minute, 2-3 to 0-2. In the remaining eight minutes of the half the teams shared five points. Donnellan, Murphy (free) and Paul Moore the Pearses scorers.
The first twelve minutes of the second half seen four goals. Leo Morrissey, now at corner-forward, cut in from the left to finish to the net and extend Pearses’ lead to eleven, 3-6 to 0-4. Oranmore-Maree sprung to life and in four minutes nicked three goals, to cut the gap to two. Niall Skehill and a Robbie Donnellan (free) extended the lead again, but Oranmore-Maree fought back with four in-a-row to level the game. Lee Murphy pointed a 26th minute free to put Pearses one up, but once again Oranmore-Maree responded to leave the final score 3-9 each.
Pearses have now played five games in the Group, winning two and drawing three. One game remains against Kilconieron, which is a must win game to qualify for the knockout stages.
Pearses: Paul O’Brien; Paul Lally, Pandamp;aacute;raic Raftery, John Jenkins; Leo Morrissey (1-0), Damien Wynne (0-1), Brendan Egan, Niall Skehill (1-2), Paul Moore (0-1); Lee Murphy (0-2), Aidan Kilkenny, Conor O’Grady; Ronan Skehill, Robbie Donnellan (1-2), Darragh Kelly (0-1). Subs used: Keith Connell, Paidi Hillary, John Lally.