U13 Football, Round 5

Pearses 4-12; Kilkerrin-Clonberne 1-8. Report by Martina Donnellan. After losing on Monday evening to neighbours Menlough, Pearses U13’s had a quick turnaround as they took on Kilkerrin-Clonberne yesterday evening in sunny Clonberne. Pearses clocked their 3rd win out of 5 games in the U13 football campaign with a convincing win and with 2 games left to play against Ballygar and Miltown, two powerful football strongholds; a win in both games will see them make the latter stages in the Cup/ shield competition.

Pearses missed some early chances as Conor Walsh was wide with a goal effort and Conor Hillary’s effort also swung right of the upright. The hosts then notched two points from play before tenacious battler young Fionn Donohue opened Pearses account on 6mins when he neatly tapped over after James Queeney set up the move in midfield with Conor Walsh also involved in the play. David Walsh levelled matters with his left footer after Cathal Hynes, Anthony Feeney and Cilly Fahey were instrumental in the build-up.

David added his 2nd from play from a difficult angle and then the little battler Fionn Donohue capitalised on a short kick out as he gathered the ball, made space for himself, held his composure well before slotting under the goalies legs to put Pearses in the driving seat by the 11th minute 1-3 to 0-2 in charge. ??Cilly Fahey added to the scoring with a good effort on the run, again originated by Feeney with David Walsh involved and finished exquisitely by the versatile Fahey.

Davy Walsh added a bullet of a goal which was set up by Kyle McDonagh which put the game well past the hosts reach by the quarter hour mark. Conor Walsh turned the screw before the break as he fetched David Walsh’s high lobbing ball, showed superb economic touch and finished sublimely to the net to put Pearses well in command by half time. Pearses 3-4; Kilkerrin-Clonberne 0-2.

Immediately following the restart Pearses received a let-off as the hosts goal chance went right across the face of the goal. Conor Hillary got Pearses off the mark early in the 2nd half as he went for a gap and tapped over after Jonah Donnellan, Cilly Fahey andamp;amp; Conor Walsh linked up well. Diarmuid Ryan made a good aerial fetch between the posts while up the other end, Fahey drew a good save from the goalie after Dara Scarry in the backs and Queeney led the attack from midfield.

Anthony Feeney then converted a free after Conor Hillary was fouled and Conor Walsh picked up a loose ball to tap over after Fionn Donohue and Conor Hillary did their utmost first to shove the ball over the goal line. This pushed Pearses 3-7 to 1-3 ahead. At this stage it was a near vintage Pearses performance as Anthony Feeney took off like a bat out of hell right through the middle and hit a belter of a goal in devastating stuff.

Clonberne pointed in a good passage of play from midfield but the Pearses boys took off again as Conor Walsh drew another good save from the goalie. Padraig Kelly then fed Davy Walsh in space and he easily spilt the posts. Davy gathered the resultant kick out with ultimate ease to fire over again while Anthony Feeney battled hard to earn himself another point. Conor Walsh tapped over a free after he was fouled himself while the old football empire struck back with 3 consecutive points from play to bring their tally to 1-7.

Young Daniel Lydon pointed from close range in the last kick of the game to ensure Pearses finished emphatic winners on a scoreline: Pearses 4-12; Kilkerrin-Clonberne 1-7. ?More importantly everyone got a taste of the action with Ross Lally having little to do in corner back in the 2nd half while young James Feeney and Daniel Lydon certainly got to strut their stuff to the management duo of Johnny Lally and Gareth Lally.

Panel: Diarmuid Ryan, Dara Scarry, Cathal Hynes, Padraig Kelly, Jonah Donnellan, Kyle McDonagh, Cillian Fahey, Anthony Feeney, James Queeney, Conor Walsh, Conor Hillary, David Walsh, Fionn Donohue, Ross Lally, Daniel Lydon, James Feeney.