U12 Hurling Semi-Final

Pearses 5-6; Four Roads 1-4: Pearses U12’s secured themselves another day out with a 5-06 to 1-04 victory over Four Roads on Monday evening in Ballymacward with a 100% record to date, 8 wins out of 8. In fairness, the strength of U12 hurling was showcased with some great spells of hurling from both sides. Scores were few in the first period of the first half but Pearses were never behind and held the edge for most of the game. Ronan Hynes opened Pearses account with a well taken point on 3mins; David Walsh was just wide as he whipped first time on a Jonah Donnellan delivery while Donnellan was wide with a 65’ earned by David Walsh.
Meanwhile up the other end, the visitors registered a wide from a 65’ while it took mid-way through the half for them to draw level with a point from a free. Pearses edged in front again as Ronan Hynes sent in a cross field pass for Donnellan to collect and he sweetly hit off his left over the crossbar. Hynes then scored a tonic goal with a long range shot which the goalie got his hurl to but the ball leaked over the line.
Four Roads registered another free but then Pearses opened the floodgates before half time with 2 goals in quick succession. The first came from a Hynes cross from out near the end line into the danger area and finished to the net by Dara Scarry who like any good forward, was lurking in front of goal. Immediately from the puck out and Pearses attacked again as Jonah Donnellan’s long delivery found the net to give the momentum to the Pearses lads at the interval. Half time score: Pearses 3-2; Four Roads 0-2.
Donnellan pushed Pearses further in front with 2 frees after the restart when David Walsh andamp;amp; Anthony Feeney were upended with Paddy Kenny also involved. Four Roads then went on a scoring spree without reply as they shot 1-02 in a 4 minute spell. Their gallant No.3 converted a free and then added a bullet of a goal from a close range free leaving young Padraig Kelly, who by the way is also U10 next year, with absolutely no chance.
The visitors converted another free from the dugout on the stand side of the field which proved to be their last score while young Kelly had to be vigilant to make a great save for Pearses. For the remainder of the game Pearses were firmly in the driving seat as Anthony Feeney goaled mid way through the 2nd half to help steady a few nerves after good work from David Walsh. Four Roads tried desperately to get back into the game but a combined defensive effort in 3 consecutive waves of attack from Four Roads meant Padraig Kelly, Harry Mitchell, the 2 Hillarys Cormac andamp;amp; Conor, Jack Reilly and Conor Kelly had to be at their best to relieve the pressure in the form of a 65’ which was subsequently sent wide.
Ronan Hynes steadied the ship again with a smartly finished goal as he whipped on a cross from David Walsh for a smashing goal. Padraig Kelly’s bravery denied Four Roads a further goal while Darragh Roche scored a beauty after a great passage of outfield play from Feeney and Donnellan. Jonah Donnellan scored the last point when he capitalised on a poor clearance to finish emphatic winners on a scoreline: Pearses 5-06; Four Roads 1-04 but despite the final result, this game was far from one-way traffic. Pearses now qualify for the final against neighbours Mountbellew.
Pearses: Padraig Kelly, Harry Mitchell, Conor Hillary, Cormac Hillary, Conor Kelly, Jack Reilly, Jonah Donnellan, Ronan Hynes, David Walsh, Darragh Roche, Paddy Kenny, Dara Scarry, Anthony Feeney, Dylan Roche, Diarmuid Ryan, Cathal Hynes, Conor Walsh, Brian Thompson, Jamie Nutley, James Queeney, Patrick O’Neill, Darren Moran.
Match Report by Martina Donnellan