U12 Hurling, Round 4

Pearses 6-19 An Spideál 0-0: Report by Martina Donnellan. From the word go Pearses rolled up their sleeves in a comprehensive and well deserved 6-19 to 0-0 win over An Spidéil in Round 4 of the U12 hurling in Ballymacward this morning. If only for their goalie, the score could have been much more. Pearses fielded two different teams, one in each half and had 10 different scorers.

By half time alone they were almost out of sight as their 9 point lead was hardly going to be bridged. David Walsh had Pearses off the mark early on with a well taken goal and added another 2 points after that, one from a free and his effort from play originated from a splendid clearance at the back from Jamie Nutley added to by Conor Hillary in midfield. Cathal Hynes batted out a good goal chance from An Spidéil, one of their few goal chances of the day. Darren Moran added a good point from a fine distance after Patrick O’Neill in defence and Cian Burke’s harrying in midfield led to the score. Jonah Donnellan landed 2 points, one from a free after Darren Moran was fouled and Harry Mitchell landed the other to put Pearses well in command on a 1-6 to 0-0 score at half time.

In the 2nd half Pearses controlled the entire 20minutes and turned the screw particularly with the introduction of Jason Rabbitte, Cillian Fahy and Harry Mitchell who between them scored 3-10. Harry had the ball in the net within seconds after the restart after Rabbitte fed him nicely. Dara Scarry goaled immediately from the resultant puck out as Jason Rabbitte fielded in midfield, passed to Cillian Fahy and in turn the goal was well executed by Scarry who promptly added a free after he was fouled himself.

Cillian Fahy added five points, 1 from a free, and a point each from Ross Lally, Jason Rabbitte and James Queeney who blocked down his opponent on the first attempt and gathered the loose ball to sail it over the bar. The 4th goal arrived from the stick of Jason Rabbitte whose low hard effort from a long distance out took a deflection off the goalie. Harry Mitchell finished the next passage of play when he raised another green flag after Conor Walsh and Padraig Kelly at the back, young Queeney and Cillian Fahy were involved in the move.

Fahy added 2 more points, the pick of them a great effort from out near the dugouts on the stand side of the field. Queeney and Dara Scarry were involved in the build-up which led to Dylan Roche’s well taken goal and Pearses 6th of the day. Roche tapped over a 65’ won by Dara Scarry while Jason Rabbitte and Cillian Fahy combined for the 19th point of the day for a Pearses team that bossed this game from start to finish. More importantly all 21 players got a run to finish off a great week of hurling after 5 days of Cúl Camp.

Scorers: Cillian Fahy 0-8 (1F); Harry Mitchell 2-1; David Walsh 1-2 (1F); Dara Scarry 1-1; Jason Rabbitte 1-1; Dylan Roche 1-1 (1 65’); Jonah Donnellan 0-2 (1F); Ross Lally 0-1; James Queeney 0-1; Darren Moran 0-1.

Panel: Cathal Hynes, Patrick O’Neill, Jamie Nutley, Cian Burke, Jonah Donnellan, Dylan Roche, Conor Hillary, Ross Lally, Darren Moran, David Walsh, Diarmuid Ryan, Brián Thompson, Keith Kitt, Tommy Nutley, Harry Mitchell, James Queeney, Conor Walsh, Padraig Kelly, Jason Rabbitte, Cillian Fahy, Ciárán Hogan.