U12 Football, Round 3

Pearses 4-15 Claregalway 0-6: Report by Martina Donnellan. Pearses U12 footballers ended their losing streak in the championship against Claregalway on a scoreline of Pearses 4-15; Claregalway 0-6. Played in Gurteen pitch yesterday evening, there is exciting times ahead now that they have their first taste of victory. A clinical display saw them take full points in the blazing sunshine having lost their opening 2 games to Oranmore/Maree and Salthill/Knocknacarra. Within a minute Harry Mitchell volleyed the ball over the bar after Anthony Feeney andamp;amp; Cillian Fahy were involved in the build-up. After a series of 45’s Cillian Fahy goaled from close range to open his scoring account.

Jamie Nutley set up David Walsh for his opening point while Conor Hillary sent over after Jonah Donnellan and David Walsh instigated the move. Harry Mitchell converted a free after the industrious Anthony Feeney was fouled while Harry goaled on the 2nd attempt after Feeney’s initial attempt was well saved to help Pearses build up some momentum and leave Claregalway struggling to gain primary possession. That score completely settled Pearses and for the remainder of the half they were rampant.

Harry Mitchell tapped over a close range free before Cillian Fahy scored his 2nd goal in the sunshine on 17mins after a good run down the side-line from Jonah Donnellan who linked up with Harry Mitchell and Fahy finished well. Patrick O’Neill made no mistake in front of the posts after he accepted a Harry Mitchell foot pass. The visitors claimed their first score of the game with a point from play and just before half time they dispatched a free to leave the score 3-6 to 0-2 at half time as James Queeney, Dara Scarry, David Walsh and Daniel Melia kept Claregalway’s scoring chances to a minimum.

Immediately after the restart Claregalway scored three close in frees and a point from play. Harry Mitchell got Pearses going again with the opening score of the 2nd half from a free after young James Feeney was fouled. Patrick O’Neill first set up Cillian Fahy who tapped over to add to his goal tally and then set up Harry Mitchell who easily scored to bring Pearses tally to 3-9. Conor Walsh, Anthony Feeney andamp;amp; Patrick O’Neill were all involved in Cillian Fahy’s third majestic goal of the evening as Pearses enjoyed a more than comfortable lead. At this stage Conor Hillary, Anthony Feeney and Conor Walsh had a strong foothold in midfield.

Jonah Donnellan tapped over a free which he won himself while subsequently he fed Harry who scored his 3rd point from play. The next Pearses score was well worked as Anthony Feeney imposed his physical presence when he ran down the road side of the field, found Cillian Fahy who in turn fed Harry and his bullet ricocheted off the crossbar and over. Cillian Fahy, David Walsh andamp;amp; Harry Mitchell scored neat points towards the end to stretch the lead and help Pearses to their first football win of the U12 Football League on an emphatic scoreline: Pearses 4-15; Claregalway 0-6.

Dillon Roche, Dylan King, Eoghan Ryan, Tommy Nutley, Fionn Donoghue, Joe Carroll, Matthew Finnerty and Ciárán Hogan also stormed into the game while the 2 net minders Diarmuid Ryan in the first half and Cathal Hynes in the 2nd half maintained a clean sheet.

Scorers: Cillian Fahy 3-2; Harry Mitchell 1-8 (0-3f); David Walsh 0-2; Conor Hillary 0-1; Patrick O’Neill 0-1; Jonah Donnellan 0-1 (F)

Panel: Diarmuid Ryan, James Queeney, Dara Scarry, David Walsh, Jonah Donnellan, Daniel Melia, Anthony Feeney, Conor Hillary, Jamie Nutley, Dillon Roche, Dylan King, Harry Mitchell, Cillian Fahy, Eoghan Ryan, Tommy Nutley, Fionn Donoghue, Cathal Hynes, Joe Carroll, Patrick O’Neill, Matthew Finnerty, Conor Walsh, James Feeney, Ciárán Hogan.