Senior League Rd. 1

Castlegar 3-16 Pearses 3-13: This game played yesterday in Castlegar looked over at half-time, as Pearses were trailing by 9 points and could have been further behind but for a missed Ger Farragher penalty. A much improved second half for Pearses had the margin back to one point on two occasions, but Cashel kept the scoreboard ticking to pull through.
Pearses led 0-2 to 0-1 after 4 minutes with points by Ronan Bellew and Enda Cunniffe. Then Castlegar took over and while Pearses didn’t score again until the 23rd minute, the city team added 2-5. Farragher’s penalty miss a let off in the 19th minute. Two Emmet Ward frees in the 23rd and 24th minutes briefly stopped that dominance, but Castlegar went on to add two more points, leaving the half-time score 2-7 to 0-4. Ronan Bellew unfortunately had to be replaced towards the end of the first half with a nasty hand injury.
Pearses had an excellent start to the second half hitting 1-3 in four minutes. The goal finished to the net by Brian Sweeney, latching on to a breaking ball. Cashel stretched the lead back to six again with another goal, before Pearses struck for another quickfire 1-2. Niall Skehill the goalscorer. The forwards were moving well, led by Gary Lally and Colm Raftery. The gap was down to one (3-7 to 2-9) and momentum looked to be swinging in Pearses’ favour with 10 minutes played in the second half.
Castlegar responded well and hit the next four points and for a second time looked to have stopped the Pearses revival. Farragher pulling the strings roaming away from full-forward. The final quarter seen the teams go score for score, with Brian Sweeney netting a third Pearses goal beating three defenders as he cut along the touchline. The gap was down to one again with six minutes left, but Cashel had two of the final three scores. Next up for Pearses is Carnmore on St. Patrick’s Day at 11.30pm in Ballymacward (TBC).
Pearses: P O’Brien; S Raftery, T Kenny, B Egan; A Bellew, R Bellew (0-1f), K Hardiman; J Gelston (0-1), E Cunniffe (0-1); L Murphy, C Raftery (0-2), E Ward (0-7, 6f); G Lally, N Skehill (1-1), B Sweeney (2-0). Subs used: T McDonagh, R Carr, J Lally, S Murray. Referee: L Fay.