Minor ‘B’ Semi-Final

Craughwell 2-16 Pearses 1-17: When Pearses drew level in injury time in this Minor ‘B’ Semi-Final played Saturday in Loughrea, it looked like the game was heading for a replay. However Craughwell landed two points at the opposite end to secure the win.
Pearses started well with two Oisin Flannery frees, but Craughwell hit 1-3 to go four in front by the 10th minute. Points from Matt Walsh and Conor O’Neill either side of a Craughwell free left it 1-4 to 0-4 after 15 minutes. Pearses outscored Craughwell 0-7 to 0-2 in the second quarter of the game. Mainly through the free-taking of Oisin Flannery, with Matt Walsh and Dean Reilly chipping in. Pearses were unlucky not to find the net too, when the Craughwell keeper brought off a super save with his hand. Pearses let 0-11 to 1-6 at half-time.
10 minutes into the second half Pearses had extended the lead to three, but Craughwell hit 1-2 to take back the lead. In the remaining 10 minutes the scores came thick and fast. The result seemed to be decided as Craughwell lead 2-14 to 0-16 heading into injury time, but there was more drama to follow.
Oisin Flannery stepped up to send a 21-yard-free to the back of the net and leave just one point in the game. Dean Reilly followed soon after with an equalising point and a draw looked the most likely outcome. However there was still more injury time remaining and Craughwell got the two killer points to see them through to the Final against Meelick-Eyrecourt.
Hard luck to the lads. They were desperately unlucky in the end. The loss of Cian Lawless, who had been solid at full-back throughout the season was a blow for this game, but the team battled gamely. With many of these lads underage again next year they can hope to build on this year’s progress.
Pearses (panel): J Barrett; E Burke, R Flannery, S Murray; S Hynes, R O’Neill, S Doran; C O’Neill (0-2), D Grady; C Kitt, C Fahey (0-1), D Reilly (0-2); M Ruane, M Walsh (0-2), O Flannery (1-10). G Kenny, M Carr, C Burke, C Lawless.