Hosting Feile in the Rain!

This time last year we hosted the Toddie Byrne Shield competition in Ballymacward. The sun was a constant presence all day and a great day was had by all. This year, rain was the order of the day, but it didn’t dampen the fine display of hurling put on by the four teams competing in the Justin Cheevers Cup.andamp;nbsp;There had been two games on Friday evening. Pearses travelled to Gort, where they were beaten by a stronger Gort combination 4-8 to 2-2. Carnmore travelled to Beagh, where they took on the Beagh-Kilbeacanty Juvenile Club, Michael Cusacks. Cusacks won out 0-9 to 1-2.
Then on to Ballymacward on Saturday morning, where Pearses and Carnmore got the ball rolling at 10.30am. The first half was evenly matched and the sides went in at half-time deadlocked on 0-3 each. Cian Murphy and Oisin Flannery the scorers for Pearses. Carnmore upped the tempo in the second half and added 1-4 to Pearses’ 0-1 to emerge 1-7 to 0-4 winners.andamp;nbsp;Next was the meeting of neighbours Gort and Michael Cusacks. Gort came out on top 3-4 to 0-7.
Then at 12.45pm Pearses and Michael Cusacks took to the field. Cusacks, with a strong breeze raced into a 1-2 to 0-0 lead after 10 minutes. Pearses turned the game around well and had taken the lead by half-time (1-5 to 1-3). The goal from Cian Murphy. The second half was all Pearses, as they added 1-5, without response. Cian Murphy again finding the net, to finish the game with 2-2. Others to shine were: andamp;Oacute;isandamp;iacute;n Flannery, Dean Really, Geordan Kenny and Dylan Grady. Final score: 2-10 to 1-3.
The final game was between Gort and Carnmore. The winner of this game would top the group and advance to the Semi-Finals later that evening in Craughwell. This was a great battle and the teams shared six goals, three of them were top class! Gort were comfortable winners, 5-6 to 1-6 and finished the day on top of the Group. They were subsequently beaten by Killimordaly in the Semi-Final, played in Craughwell.