The Club will host a Cardiac Screening Day on Saturday, July 16th at the Clubhouse in Ballymacward. The clinic will be open from 9.30am-5pm and each screening will take 15-20 minutes. Bookings can be made online: (1) Go to www.ameds.ie, (2) Click on the ‘Online Booking’, (3) Enter the clinic code PPGAA or please click the following: https://bookings.ameds.ie
Credit or Debit cards can be used to book an appointment. Anyone with LAYA is FREE but must make a booking too. Everyone else must pay the €65 fee which is tax deductible. Anyone with other health insurance may be able to claim a % back at the end of the year. Alternatively, individuals with difficulty online can call our helpline 1890 300 333 or email email@example.com. We hope people will avail of the next available time slot.
Why undergo a Cardiac Screening?
- Up to 100 young people die each year in Ireland from Sudden Adult Death Syndrome (SADS)
- 1 in 300 people may have a cardiac abnormality
- The national register recently reported that the incidents of SADS are higher in Ireland than many other European countries.
- In Italy cardiac screening is mandatory for anyone aged 12 to 35 years involved in competitive sport for the past 25 years. They have reduced the incidents of SADS by 89%.
- The GAA’s Medical Scientific and Welfare Committee and the International Rugby Board recommend cardiac screening for all players over the age of 14 years
- The European Society of Cardiology and the International Olympic Committee recommends cardiac screening.
- AMS’s service is based on the recommendations of the above named organisations.