U16 A1 Round 2 Pearses 2-16; Fr. Joe Walsh’s 0-12.

Orin Burke & Cilly Fahey struck 11 points between them as Pearses U16s beat an amalgamation of Killimor & Meelick-Eyrecourt to win their second game in the U16A1 championship yesterday evening as Paul Feeney’s charges saw off a fairly spirited Fr. Joe Walsh’s challenge at Ballymacward.

Pearses were on the back foot when the visitors got off to a dream start, 3 points up after 6mins but in truth Pearses never panicked and once Pearses hit the front on 11mins, they dominated the game thereafter.

Fr. Joe’s were handed the perfect opening with 3 points up inside the first 6 minutes while Harry Mitchell had to make a point blank save also in that spell with the clearance added to by Ollie Laheen while Cormac Hillary was also busy in the other corner. Pearses first score arrived on 8mins from the stick of Ronan Hynes after receiving a pass from big Diarmuid. Hynes added his 2nd from play in as many minutes when he capitalised on a poor clearance by the visitors. Orin Burke levelled matters with a converted free after Cillian Fahey was fouled and despite those ideal first few minutes Fr. Joe’s couldn’t build on their lead.

Orin fired over from play moments later from the midfield line to put Pearses 1 point up but the opposition responded with a placed ball. Burkey then had a golden opportunity to raise a green flag after a lovely stick pass from Fahey across the field to find him unmarked and with his meandering run towards goal he unleashed a bullet which was deflected by the goalie over the bar. Orin then saw his 65’ tail wide just before the first water break to make it 0-5 to 0-4 after Q1.

Q2 was fairly evenly matched 0-4 to 0-3 scored with Pearses edging the scoring. Fr. Joe Walsh’s pointed from play as the ball just crept over the bar. Then both sides traded frees – Orin for Pearses. Darragh Roche added to Pearses tally from a difficult angle after good work from Orin Burke & Cilly Fahey played him in the corner forward position. Orin converted another placed ball after good work from young James Queeney who hand passed to Burke with Fahey also involved but the ref blew back to indicate a free which Orin dispatched easily. Then Harry Mitchell made a super double save to keep Pearses in the game, the pick of them a low diving save which he did well to see in a crowded area. Fr. Joe’s converted a 65’ while Cilly Fahey’s hard work was rewarded just before half time when he fired over from play after a good passage of play involving Queeney & Dara Scarry. Half time Pearses: 0-9; Fr. Joe Walsh’s 0-7.

Fahey added to his tally with his 2nd from play on the resumption. That was quickly cancelled out by a 65’.  Young Queeney was first to raise a green flag following a goalmouth scramble when he kicked over the line; a goal which really settled Pearses into the contest thereafter 1-10 to 0-8 ahead. Fr, Joe’s reduced the deficit to 0-4 with another from play. Orin added his 4th free after Diarmuid Ryan was fouled and then a goal looked on the cards but Harry was quick off his line and read the ball well. Fr. Joe’s impressive No. 11 added from play but Orin Burke pushed Pearses 5 ahead with another placed ball after Anthony Feeney was fouled bursting through on goal. 1-12 to 0-10 after Q3.

It was tit for tat for the first minutes into Quarter 4. Fr. Joe Walsh’s landed a point from play which was quickly cancelled out by Conor Kelly who was redeployed in the forwards for the final quarter. Another Fr. Joe’s free was cancelled out after Conor Kelly fired over following good work from Jonah Donnellan & Anthony Feeney. Harry showed further super reflexes as he pulled off yet another superb diving save to keep it a 5 point ball game. Then a patient team move originated in a quick puck out from Harry to Donnellan who linked up with Feeney and with Conor Kelly on the end of the move he blasted inside the right hand post to effectively put the game to bed and open up an 8 point lead.

Pearses hit the ground running in the final 5mins. Feeney found Fahey who still managed to split the posts despite the attempted blockdown. Fahey added his 4th from play as Pearses continued to build on the advantage. Fr. Joe’s almost found a 3 –pointer towards the end from their No. 11 as he cut in across the goal but yet another stunning save from Harry Mitchell denied the goal. A close in free for Fr. Joe’s at the death saw the ball deflect off Dylan Roche’s hurl to ensure a 10 point winning margin in the end and 2 wins out of 2 to set up an intriguing final group game against Ballinderreen on Monday next.  Final score: Pearses 2-16; Fr. Joe Walsh’s 0-12.

Scorers: Orin Burke 0-7 (0-5F); Conor Kelly 1-2; Cilly Fahey 0-4; James Queeney 1-0; Ronan Hynes 0-2; Darragh Roche 0-1. 

Panel: Harry Mitchell; Cormac Hillary, Conor Kelly, Oliver Laheen, Jonah Donnellan, Paddy Kenny, Dylan Roche, Orin Burke, Anthony Feeney, Ronan Hynes, Diarmuid Ryan, Dara Scarry, James Queeney, Cillian Fahey, Darragh Roche, Ciarán Hogan, Kyle McDonagh.